HOME           /           ABOUT           /           ETSY           /           CONTACT

Monday, July 7, 2014

American Pie, of the Strawberry Rhubarb variety

I made pie for the first time last week. Whoa.

StrawberryRhubarbPieNewAngle

I never really liked pie. Cheesecake, cookies were confections I could really bite into. Heh. But Mark has been begging me to make a pie. We've been together more than six years.

He loves pies. I ... don't.

But last week, I finally caved. We had leftover rhubarb from some strawberry rhubarb jam I made, and I had a ton of frozen strawberries that I stocked up on for smoothies earlier this year. It was time.

I'm not sure if it was a national holiday because I finally made a pie, or if I made a pie because it was a national holiday. I guess you can decide.

I let him choose the recipe he wanted me to follow.

Our marriage was to be tested. Dun dun dunnnn.

One more side note: I know my lattice top isn't perfect by any stretch. I was short on dough and just laid it instead of lacing it. Take it easy. It's my first time making a pie.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Recipe adapted from TheKitchn.com

Filling ingredients:
• 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 large stalks, or six smaller ones)
• 2 1/2 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, plus extra for buttering pie dish
• 1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)

As to not overwhelm myself, I used Jiffy pie crust mix. Prepare crust, meld into two disk shapes and refrigerate for at least an hour, if not overnight.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prepare the bottom crust by rolling out one of the pastry disks into 11-inch circle. Butter pie dish (didn't do this!) and press the crust inside the pan so about an inch hangs over the sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Mix the fruit with the sugar, flour and lemon zest. Poke small holes (with a fork) on the bottom of the pie crust evenly a few times. Pour the fruit mixture into the chilled pastry. Dot with the butter pieces.

Place top pastry in lattice pattern, or one piece with a few forked openings for few air vents. Pinch edges.

Brush egg mixture over crust, to prevent burning!

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake another 30 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.

Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before serving.

StrawberryRhubarbPieVertical

StrawberryRhubarbPieCloseup

This is definitely a pie that's best eaten chilled, not warm. Mark was very satisfied with my first pie-making venture. It was pretty good. Sweet, but also a tangy and tartness to it because of the rhubarb.

He said his grandma would be proud. I guess she always made it for him as a kid. :)

PieDish

Thought I'd show off my pie dish. My mom got it for me at a garage sale a few years ago. I can't believe it lists a "microwave" pie recipe. The early 80s were a weird time.

Have any memories making a special dessert for a loved one? Or any special treats made over the holiday weekend, if you're American?

PS Check out my Twitter (more snacks and a holiday-inspired outfit of the day) and Instagram accounts for a few more glimpses of my 4th of July weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I really could go for a piece of that pie right now. We can't ever find rhubarb in Georgia though. It's sad because I love it!

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you're deprived of rhubarb down south. It's actually a more recent discovery for me. I never had it before this summer!

      Delete
  2. ahah I love your pie dish, the 80s do seem odd! That recipe does really sound delicious though! Id love to try it, I love rhubarb, my mom has a fabulous rhubarb cake recipe, and its delicious.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa. Rhubarb cake is something I have to try. Sounds like it would be delish.

      Delete
  3. This seriously looks so good. I haven't had strawberry rhubarb pie in forever, I'm stealing this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You should. Not to peer pressure you or anything. ;)

      Delete