HOME           /           ABOUT           /           ETSY           /           CONTACT

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Bleeding Black and Gold

Pittsburghers have a reputation when it comes to sports. They're diehard, and are usually wearing a Steelers or Penguins jersey regardless of whether or not it's game day. That's great for civic pride, but not so much for fashion.

PiratesVintageShirt-Bridge

PiratesVintageShirt-RobertoFive

PiratesVintageShirt-CloseUp

Outfit No. 1: Shirt, thrifted vintage; cardigan, J. Crew Outlet; pants, Target; shoes, Modcloth (old).

Mark and I have been season ticket holders for awhile now. We got a 20-game pack this year, so we've been going to games about once a week. I thought I'd showcase a couple of the outfits I've worn to games this year.

So, I've been trying strike a balance being civic pride and style. It's easy to just throw on a t-shirt and jeans. Or wear a jersey. And trust me, I did that for years. But I just wanted to do something a little more fun.

The vintage shirt above, from the early 1990s, made it super easy.

Those photos were taken on one of the cooler July evenings last month, so the cardigan was an added bonus to bring out the yellow in the shirt, and therefore, showed just how much I love the Pirates.

PiratesPNCPark

PiratesPolkaDotShorts-City

PiratesPolkaDotShorts-YEAH

PiratesPolkaDotShorts-Feet

Outfit No. 2: Shirt, Homage, via Avalon Exchange; short, Old Navy; shoes, Modcloth.

And the City of Champions shirt has been a wardrobe staple of mine for years. I kind of wear it everywhere, if I want something that's comfy, stylish, and full of Pittsburgh pride. Haha.

It's not like these outfits are crazy out of the box, but I think they're fun.

By the way, the Pirates are five games above .500 as of now. Hooray! Fingers crossed they keep that record up. For some historical background about the underdog Pirates, read this.

What do you tend to wear to sporting events?

P.S. PNC Park a beautiful ballpark, arguably the most stunning one in the country. I definitely recommend checking it out if you're ever in town, baseball fan or not.

6 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoy planning my Steeler game day outfits. Marshall's/TJ Maxx always has cute ladies team shirts. I found a yellow, black, and white wool skirt awhile back and I was so excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love finding things that have subtle black in gold instead of in your face. There's a black flannel shirt I have with yellow and white stripes I have in my closet that comes to mind.

      Mark hit the jackpot a few years ago at Marshall's, when he found a ton of cheap WVU gear. Since he went to grad school there, he's a huge WVU fan, but since all the merch was at a Marshall's near Pittsburgh, it ended up being marked down a ton. Win-win!

      Delete
  2. Haha so true! Way to make it cute! I'm so hoping for another play off spot this year... It's looking good even though we're in a tough division!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! Might end up being another wildcard game, who knows.

      Delete
  3. I love this post! So cute. Let's go Pirates! :)

    Kaylee
    xx

    ReplyDelete