HOME           /           ABOUT           /           ETSY           /           CONTACT

Sunday, June 8, 2014

This Sums Up My Weekend

PraiseTheLord

Image from OITNB.tumblr.com.

I freaking love Orange is the New Black. It's an amazing show. All the hype about it is definitely justified, not only because it opens the discussion about an otherwise marginalized population, prisoners, but because the show is done so well.

I can't say whether the show captures a 100 percent realistic portrayal of prison life, but regardless, it opens up an almost taboo-like discussion that a lot of people weren't talking about before.

It's based on a true story, of course, but the adaptation is going much differently than Piper Kerman's memoir, which I read earlier this year.

When Mark was in grad school, he was involved in a group called the Appalachian Prison Book Project. They not only send books to prisoners, but they also talk about realities that prisoners face day to day. I also took an investigative journalism class in college that focused on prison life, recidivism, and restorative justice. I guess it's always been a subject area that piqued my interest.

Anyway, as you may or may not know, the second season of Orange is the New Black premiered on Friday, all 13 hourlong episodes, and I may or may not be done watching the episodes already. Please don't judge me.

No spoilers here, but just saying this season goes into a lot more depth and is more polished than first season, in my opinion.

Hope you all had a good weekend. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love Orange is The New Black and have been watching since Friday, I am almost done with this season. I also am intrigued by the subject since I am in school for psychology but with a forensic concentration. I want to work full or part time with a marginalized group like prisoners or juveniles, who don't get enough attention and help with mental health disorders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i watched the second season so quickly!! i basically locked myself in my room the other day, and watched it straight through (i need a life haha)

    ReplyDelete